The Stanly Hall building was built in 1874 and is located in historic downtown New Bern at 249 Craven Street, second floor. When first built the second floor was the city’s principal dance and assembly hall. It was used as a temporary courtroom and city hall in the 1880s and 1890s.
In the 20th century it was used to host USO dances and was the gymnasium for New Bern High to host basketball games with rival teams.
Stanly Hall Ballroom Restoration
The restoration of Stanly Hall Ballroom began with the purchase of the space in December of 2009. The planning process took almost a year and the renovations, which started in the fall of 2010, were finally completed in April of 2012. We are very proud of the results.
Inspired by the large open space, the original heart pine floor, and the building’s history as a ballroom, we took our ideas to architect, Charles Francis. Through collaborations with Charles and our builder, John Gudaitis of Riverfront Builders, our dream of a beautiful ballroom became a reality.
We have more photos and many stories to go with them. Just ask, and we’d be happy to share.